Odours are very common in upholstery. Whether it is your favorite love seat at home or a comfortable work chair at office, upholstery tends to smell bad over a period of time. Sometimes the smell may be because of pets using the upholstery or some kind of spills. But usually it is a rustic messy smell that indicates that the furniture has been used for a long time without deep cleaning. The odour could be a general one caused due to regular wear and tear or a stinky one that makes it unbearable to use the furniture item. Whatever it is, you can now deodorize your upholstery at home! Yes, we are here to share some effective methods for removing odour from upholstered sofas and leather upholstery.
Go ahead and try out the following DIY odour removal process. You can thank us later!
How to Deodorize Upholstered Sofas
To deodorize your upholstered sofa you need to first vacuum it. A good way is to use the brush attachment of the vacuum cleaner and remove all kinds of solid particles. This way you will free your sofa from hair, skin flakes, debris, and pet hair etc. Once done, use the following steps to remove odour from an upholstered sofa:
- Mix baking soda with water and put in a spray bottle. Sprinkle this mixture on the sofa, beneath the cushions, and on the backside of the sofa. Use a liberal quantity of the mixture so that the soda residue becomes visible on the sofa.
- Once you have sprayed the upholstered sofa properly with baking soda mixture, let it stay for at least 15 minutes. If any portion of the sofa has intense smell then you can leave the sofa mixture overnight as well. Soda has a tendency to absorb smells from fabric and thus it does wonders!
- After that, pick up your vacuum cleaner again and extract the baking soda residue. It is recommended to use a fresh bag for this step as baking soda quickly fills up the vacuum bag.
How to Deodorize Leather Upholstery
If you want to keep your leather sofas odour free then it is important to wipe any kind of spill immediately using a damp cloth. In addition to that, here are various tips to keep odour away from your leather upholstery:
- Make a mixture of warm water with liquid neutral soap. You can take either saddle soap or castile soap for this. Use this soapy mixture to wipe down your leather upholstery. Be careful and clean only the smelly area and not use the soapy mixture on the rest of the upholstery.
- Use a damp rag to clean the soapy residue from the leather upholstery. After that, use a dry piece of cloth to wipe it up.
- Try to find any good enzyme leather cleaner for odour removal. Make sure to read the instructions properly before using such kind of a cleaner. These enzymes break down the bacteria that cause odour in the leather upholstery. This will deodorize your leather upholstery leaving a fresh smell.
We always advise to do a patch test before using an odour-removal method for your upholstery. This ensures the effectiveness of the cleaning method and protects your upholstery from any damage.
These tips can literally do magic to eliminate any kind of smell from upholstery. However, if the certain type of smell still bothers you then you can get in touch with our upholstery cleaning experts. We have the finest quality odour removing agents for all types of upholstery. We also provide upholstery stain removal services at an affordable price!